Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Linus Update

Hi Everyone,
Just an update last time we talked I had just Purchased Sit, Stay, Fetch From http://www.sitstayfetchebook.com/ and I was going to put it into effect and see If I could train myself on how to train Linus. At First glance the book looked great there was a lot of info in each chapter. In Fact there is 186 pages of great info in there. It covers everything from choosing the right dog or puppy to common obedience and advanced obedience training.

I was up till 3:00am reading the book the first night after I downloaded it and I started using the techniques mentioned in the book the next day. I am happy to say I have seen vast improvements in Linus' dog training. I thought he was listening well before now he is like unbelievable.

Tuesday I opened the sliding door and he bolted out right between my legs and strait for the street I saw a car coming up the street fast as I live on a bit of a main road. I yelled for him "LINUS DOWN!!!" He Stopped dead in his tracks and laid down on the ground. He is not great yet with the "Come" command so I said "you want some bacon" (Begging strips his favorite) and he came running back into the house and right to the "Surprise closet" I know it's Corny but that's what we call it. We keep all his food toys and treats in there and man let me tell you if you say, "lets go see what's in the surprise closet" he knows right where to go.


As for his Aggression I have to say things have gotten better. Not 100% but definitely better after one week with the books lessons has been better than 5 weeks with the dog trainer. If someone comes to the door there are 3 scenario's. If they just come and knock on the sliding door he will run like mad smack his head into the door and bark at them. If someone comes and rings the doorbell he will run like a crazy freak as fast as he can right into the sliding door and I am always listening for the glass to break. He will whack his head on it and bark like crazy. But if you know someone is coming here is what I do...


I put him on the leash and start walking him around in the other room doing figure eights, this gets him focused on me and not the door. Then when someone comes to the door he will try to run to the kitchen and I will stop and make him sit right there in the living room. once he calms down I will walk him into the kitchen. ( I go before he does) Then I make him sit in front of the door with my guest standing there, he will get a little crazy but then he will calm down. I open the door and back away and invite them in. I make sure he sits the whole time and if he tries to lung or stand up I make him sit again. This seems to be working well. After about 10 Minutes he calms down and just lays on the floor like no one was there. It is a huge improvement.


Although, this technique is a little bit of my own, and a little bit of the Dog Trainers Getting him to the point where I can successfully do this and actually have control, That I owe all to the Book. I have to say I am very pleased with this purchase thus far and I would have to recommend the book. Now I am able to control Linus in any situation and that is something I have not been able to do as of yet. Yes, he is still a crazy nut and no I don't trust him to be off the leash when people are over nor do I trust him to let other people pet and play with him, but I finally see some hope now and I think this Book might actually be a god send for Linus.

I will keep you updated.
Check it out http://www.sitstayfetchebook.com/

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites